KAFM Community Radio
Grand Valley Public Radio Company, Inc.
1310 Ute Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81501
POSITION: Executive Director
KAFM seeks an energetic and highly motivated Executive Director to oversee the overall health, growth, and long-term viability of the station. The ED manages a creative and collaborative environment that focuses on energizing and informing internal and external audiences regarding KAFM Community Radio.
KAFM is an FCC licensed 501c(3) corporation, non-profit public radio station with 300 watts of power serving Western Colorado at 88.1 mhz. KAFM also maintains a web presence and streams music and community programming live 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at www.kafmradio.org. KAFM is member-supported and primarily volunteer-run.
KEY JOB DUTIES:
- Reports to the Board of Directors and works with them to establish KAFM’s strategic direction and goals.
- Responsible for the financial management and health of the organization including setting and managing the station’s operating budget and financials; and growing the station’s revenue stream through fundraising, membership drives, underwriting, grant writing, and other means.
- Manage day-to-day operations and oversee special event activities
- Manages, directly or through subordinates, a staff of seven full- and part-time employees and a large number of volunteers, including recruitment, training, performance management, and disciplinary action when required.
- Ensures the creation and oversight of programs and services that promote the station and positively engage the listening community. Oversees public relations activities. Fosters long-term relationships with various constituencies including members of the community, media, partner organizations, etc.
- Works with the Station Manager regarding the technical and legal operation of the station, ensuring compliance with all applicable FCC regulations and other federal, state, and local laws.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, communications, journalism, or a related field with at least five years of increasingly responsible experience in broadcast media, a related field, or equivalent experience. Previous experience working in a nonprofit environment and working with a board of directors is highly desirable.
- Strong financial management skills. Proficiency at fundraising, capital campaigns, and real estate management. Grant writing experience is highly desirable.
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to articulate a vision and inspire others to achieve it. A minimum of five years’ experience managing employees. Previous experience managing volunteers is also desired.
- Strong interpersonal and community relations skills, with the ability to build strong working relationships and interact professionally at all levels, including with KAFM Board, staff, volunteers, underwriters, members, outside suppliers, listeners, and the community at large.
- Advanced communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation).The ability to negotiate, influence and persuade. Knowledge of and experience with social media desired. A high level of confidence, integrity, and critical and creative thinking, both at the strategic and operational levels. Solid computer skills.
HOURS & COMPENSATION:
This is a 40-hour per week position, with the need to attend evening or weekend events periodically. KAFM offers a starting salary of $35K – $40K annually (commensurate with experience), two weeks paid vacation and nine paid holidays per year.
This description does not list all job duties in detail. KAFM’s Board of Directors reserves the right to revise this description as needed.