News Director — Job Description
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary: The news director is primarily responsible for producing KOTO’s weekday newscast and local affairs programming. Other duties include strategic web planning, web content management, and co-production of KOTO’s live festival coverage.
- Produce a daily newscast, determining local and regional content.
- Hire, train, supervise, and schedule staff reporters/producers and volunteers.
- Assign and edit reporters’ produced pieces to ensure they meet ethical and journalistic standards, as summarized by the following guidelines:
- Seek the truth and report it;
- Minimize harm;
- Act independently;
- Be accountable;
- Prevent the broadcast of slanderous and/or libelous material.
- Achieve a comprehensive and inclusive newscast that reports on the breadth of local community issues and subjects, including those underreported in the mainstream press, representing as many viewpoints as are available.
- Produce public affairs programming and special coverage, including elections and emergencies.
- Ensure web content is updated and accurate.
- Advise executive director on website content and functionality
- Assist in the broadcasting of Telluride town council meetings.
- Assist, plan, and produce local public affairs programs, live broadcasts, and special event coverage.
- Represent the News Department at San Miguel Educational Fund board of directors meeting as required.
- Maintain equipment and make recommendations for replacement.
- Cover on-air slots, Monday through Friday, from 5:58 until 6:30.
- Act as news staff advocate, offering opinions and recommendations on KOTO news and public affairs programming.
- Collect feedback and input from the community to make recommendations to the SMEF and CAB about news and public affairs programming.
- Assist with station functions and events as requested by the executive director.
E-mail resumes to: Dina@koto.org