4 emails and/or phone conversations and/or personal conversations this week all involving the same thing: Goat, where do I submit? In a Facebook conversation recently, I broke down the primary types of performance events regionally.
1. Bars/restaurants (think Oskar Blues, Baker Street Pub, Bar SS, Road 34, Ziggies, Eck’s Saloon, etc)
2. Theaters/concert venues (think Herman’s Hideaway, Fox, Aggie, Ogden, Fillmore, Pepsi Center, Red Rocks, Taste of Denver)
3. Private Events (weddings, parties, etc)
4. Municipal Events (Arvada Harvest Festival, Broomfest, Carbon Valley Music & Spirits Festival, Bohemian Nights @ New West Fest, Colorado State Fair, Boulder County Fair, etc)
5. Festivals (ticketed …Rocky Grass, Telluride Bluegrass, Warped Tour, etc)
Most of us who have played locally know how to reach out to the local bars, and smaller theaters/concert venues. That’s the bread and butter stuff… But, too often I hear confusion beyond that, hence the “goat, where do I submit?” Beyond that question is “how do I submit, and to whom?”
There is no single best way to approach this challenge. A large number of the folks who buy talent statewide do not have the level of technical sophistication at their finger tips to find out who’s who and what do they do, so they rely on their sphere of influence in their communities. That sphere of influence includes local community radio and members of other local media who might be familiar with bands in the region.
Six years ago the question had to do with getting Colorado music on radio, and out to media in general. I think we’ve done a good job of working on that puzzle with the media service package. This past year, right at about 30 titles were sent out to radio, tv, and print media statewide. Many of those albums received some airplay in some markets around the state. Beginning this month, I’m adding a new service, sending packages to municipal event buyers around the state.
Buyers will be making all their buying decisions between now and April. If you’d like to be in the game, now’s the time to do it. For more information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS: no metal, hardcore, loud rock, or rap. Thank you.